Thursday, June 12, 2008

Joining a church??

“I tell our new members: you don’t join a preacher, you join the church. And you join the church for one reason—because you believe that God told you to plant your life there. If you join because of a style of preaching, that can change. If you join for the facilities or the programs, that can change. You’ve got to ask, ‘Where does God want me to invest my life?’ We don’t welcome spectators.”—Dan Yeary, pastor of North Phoenix Baptist Church, attended by presidential candidate John McCain. The quotation comes from an interview with The Christian Century magazine. [religionblog.dallasnews.com, 6/9/08]

So what do you think of that? That's the kind of talking that gets a pastor criticized. But it's true. Churches are not intended to compete for "attenders", seeing who can put on the best show each week. Churches are intended to have a compelling vision, and Christ-followers are intended to identify with a church and it's mission. When you find a mission that is worth the investment of your life, you stay there--even if the music changes, the carpet changes, or little things happen that aren't your favorite. You see yourself as investing your one and only life in something that matters for eternity, and doing it with others who are as committed as you are. It's like committing to marriage--it's something you give your life to.

July marks the 30th year I have been part of Cornerstone. I believe in our mission and vision. I plan to be here, making a successful pass of a vital, relevant faith to new generations by helping them find the Father, a Family, and a Fulfilling Future for a long time to come. My heart is completely bonded to the core of people who are making this investment with me, despite the changes, despite the occasional things we disagree about. We DO agree about the mission--and that keeps us on this team. I love you guys. What we're doing really matters.

3 comments:

Larissa said...

Thanks for reminding me of what's important. I know that there are a few changes going on at Cornerstone, some of them I'm not too pleased about. I've learnt something from it all and that is it isn't about me, it's about the mission He has given us all. I'm not going anywhere and I'm embracing the changes knowing they are for the greater good.

Brenda Mason Young said...

Thanks, Larissa...it's hearts that beat like yours does that keep us making a differnce! I love and appreciate you!!

Anonymous said...

We will all weather this storm together. Our lives should be a beacon of His light and His grace. Nothing should sway us from His path and His mission. I have found a home at Cornerstone. I can't tell you how many times I've walked into the santuary and knelt down and left my burdens at the altar. I love my church family as I love my Savior. Only He can battle the darkness in my heart with His pure light of truth. This is a very real miracle in my life that I would have never thought possible. Thank you Pastor and thank you Cornerstone for giving my life meaning and purpose.