As I watched the movie (historically quite accurate), I was struck by the similarities between what I was seeing on the screen and what I see in my office and ministry today. Relationships that destroy have commonalities in every generation. Things like
- majoring on minors
- taking everything personally
- being easily offended, slow to forgive
- using "God" only for validation or comfort
- interpreting scripture to back whatever I want to do
- keeping score/record of wrongs
- making a relationship/family an idol in place of God....
I couldn't help but think how many people lived miserably and ended up eternally separated from God because of the incredible lengths people went to preserve their "pride.".
I couldn't help but think how many people I know today are living miserably and endangering their own and their family members' eternal destinies because of their pride.
"All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because God opposes the proud, but shows favor to the humble...Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him, because he cares for you." I Peter 5:5-7