Saturday, January 10, 2009

Catching Up with God and people

WOW!!!! I can't believe it has been so long since I wrote. I MUST do better. I have been so busy..not only did I become a grandmother, my daughter got marrried in a pretty big deal November 1, my mother-in-law Audra went to heaven on November 5, and then came all the holidays with the family and church events and extra work that accompany them.

But, God has been very, very plain about a new paths in my life. And I am on it. :-) He has promised that obedience to him brings his unique presence and power. So I am working with him.

I am as susceptible to losing it as anyone else....I work hard to keep my passion alive and well. Here are a few things that help me...if you need a boost as the year begins, you might want to try one.

DELIBERATELY GO SOMEPLACE YOU HAVEN'T SEEN BEFORE WHERE GOD IS WORKING. It could be overseas, a downtown mission, or a ministry that could teach you something. God is so much bigger and doing so much more than what is right in front of my face.

AT LEAST ONCE A YEAR, REALLY PUT YOUR FACE AND HANDS IN A PLACE WHERE THERE IS TRUE POVERTY. Did you know that today some moms will have to decide WHICH child to feed???? Getting regular looks at that will get the boredom out of your life.

FAST. I am in the middle of doing that right now. I am the first to admit I don't truly get how God works through that, but he sure does.

WORK ON FRIENDSHIPS WITH SOME PEOPLE WHO ARE NOT CHRIST-FOLLOWERS. Truly knowing and loving people who are lost helps me want to talk to God more and stay close to him.

GIVE MORE THAN YOU THINK YOU CAN AFFORD TO. Something about giving breaks the grip of the petty things. Do know why---but it does. ;-)

CRY. God says our tears are precious to him, and they truly are refeshing. When I have a good cry, I feel kinda like a dirty sidewalk that has been refreshed and like dew is sparkling on the dandelions around me---the things that looked like weeds have more beauty once I cry through it with my Father.

READ THE OBITUARIES. Seeing how many people my age and younger didn't get today helps me value each minute more and complain less.

Well....that's it. I leave in a couple of moments to grieve with a family who has lost their mother to death, and to offer them the hope that is in Jesus. Something tells me I'm going to be very encouraged this morning. I hope you will be, too.

No comments: