Friday, February 6, 2009

Real love :-)


This is our Shiba Inu dog Spike. He has gone through serious grief since my mother-in-law Audra left us for heaven last fall. She was his guardian angel, always sneaking him treats, responding to his little paws on her leg, and making sure no one took advantage of him. He spent weeks laying by her door after her stroke took her to the nursing home. He is so persistent and adorable that I have gradually accepted that it is my lot to take her place. :-) He is my special little friend. He can't talk, but there's never a doubt how he loves me. I don't even have to give him a treat; he just wants to be where I am. On a day like today when I am working from home, he finds me wherever I am and just lays at my feet. Presence is what he wants. And you know what? I have discovered I really like it, too.
I think that's what real love is about--you get contentment and what you need in large measure just by being with the other one. I want to love Jesus that much--I think he would be so pleased if he could sense I just want to be with him, instead of looking for something from him. That would be a treat for both of us. Just relaxing in the Presence.

No comments: