Friday, March 6, 2009

"I 'll Pray For You"



This morning I was privileged to go to the Summit County Pastors Prayer Breakfast at the Haven of Rest with two dear friends. Pastor Jim Stetler is an associate pastor at Cornerstone Church and one of the leading laymen in Akron in such efforts. Shirley Chuchu is the energy behind much of the Bible Reading that goes on for 90 straight hours the first week in May, and is the push behind getting pastors and churches involved. I was proud to be with them.

It was great to be in a concert of prayer, asking God first of all to set a fire for prayer in the hearts of pastors. And then I received a very special blessing. Hank Richards, a Catholic lay leader who was there (I have met him in other settings because he is a close friend to Pastor Jim and we have worked on projects together)unexpectedly prayed for me. When I thanked him, he said with candor, "Oh, I pray for you every single day."

That blew me away. The thought that someone I don't see often was lifting me to Jesus on a daily basis meant so very much to me, and I was humbly aware that Hank is responsible for much of the blessings and protection that come my way. Then it occured to me that I might be the only one praying for some of the people God brings to my mind. To have someone for whom to pray is a tremendous privilege and huge responsibiltiy. I want to live up to it.

"I'll be praying for you." What an amazing gift to get. What an incredible gift to give.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Since the day that you & I sat and talked about our re-meeting again in this life (from Zanesville to Akron), I have been blessed and privileged to call you my dearest friend. Since then, the day has yet to come in my life, where I haven't prayed for you & Charlie & each of your children as they have arrived to grace not only your home & family but the more corporate family of all of Cornerstone. I have to admit there are several other Masons, Potters and Youngs who have entered into my prayers as well, and now we can add Carpenters as well.

The joy you have in your children's many accomplishments and recent "affairs of the heart" are shared many times over with those of us who have known & loved those children right along with you & Charlie since we learned of their impending arrival. Thank you for sharing your children and family with not only me. but so many others of the Cornerstone Family, through the years. You have been instrumental in making Cornerstone more than a church, but more of a CHURCH FAMILY. We all thank you, And God, for that!

And thank you, also for being the kind of friend, that has not allowed the literal distance between us to become a distance in our friendship. Sharing the joys and tears of your family has been a rare privilege; therefore I can do little else but continue to utter your names before the Lord each day when I come to Him, for our private times together. I may not always be close but my heart & prayers for you are never far away.