Thursday, June 11, 2009

June 10, 1950

I called my Dad yesterday morning on his and mother's 59th anniversary. I asked what he was doing for the day, and he laughed and simply said, "Oh, I have a little plan." My brother Dwight stopped by last night and talked to him. Here is his blog about Dad's day. Happy Anniversary, Dad. You and Mom are the best ever.


JUNE 10, 1950 (Dwight’s Blog, June 10, 2009)
Fifty-nine years ago today a man named Jim married a beautiful girl named Marie. That would be my father and mother. You probably have heard the saying, “They were made for each other.” Well, nothing could be truer of them.

They were very intentional on serving one another and considering the other’s interests above their own.

I have heard my dad say that he knew of no greater woman than my mom, including his own mom. That is quite a compliment for any woman. She was the apple of Dad’s eye, and Dad was the apple of her eye.

I stopped by today to see my dad . I asked him how it was going, and he said it had been a great day. He had worked all day. He said, “I have been listening to music and working. I have swept the floor, dusted the furniture, mopped the kitchen floor.” He said with a twinkle in his eye, “I did it just in case Mother would come back tonight.”

If you knew my mother, no one kept a house like her. It was her style. I know why Dad did what he did today. It was a way of showing honor to his wife, my mother, for all the years she took care of him.

Before I left he wanted me to listen to a favorite song:

I am going to a city,
Where the streets with gold are laid;
Where the tree of life is blooming,
And the roses never fade.
Here they bloom but for a season,
Soon their beauty is decayed;
I am going to a city,
Where the roses never fade.
Loved ones gone to be with Jesus,
In their robes of white arrayed;
Now are waiting for my coming,
Where the roses never fade.
Here they bloom but for a season,
Soon their beauty is decayed;
I am going to a city,
Where the roses never fade.
Here they bloom but for a season,
Soon their beauty is decayed;
I am going to a city,
Where the roses never fade.
Where the roses never fade!


I prayed with him and thanked him for the great example of a marriage that he and Mom had given me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's such beautiful song lyrics. I love reading your stories, they are always so uplifting. I really look forward to reading them.