Thursday, October 22, 2009

Blessed, rich, and happy!

It's my birthday today. I have been surprised and delighted by all the greetings, prayers, best wishes received, courtesy of all the technology available at this point of my journey. I have "tweeted", emailed, facebooked all around the world in celebration, and even got a phone call from Romania and another from South Africa carrying birthday wishes. How amazing is that??

I am so blessed by friends and family--admittedly, far more than I deserve. I am aware, though, that at this point of life (57 incredibly full years!), my life and my blessings to a significant degree are a reflection of the choices I have made and the paths I have walked. I am so glad that at 16 years of age, I made a personal and deep commitment to follow Jesus with my whole heart for my whole life. I am very thankful that while I was in graduate school I was advised to develop a "wisdom council" and actively seek counsel, submitting my decisions courses of action to wise, godly people who know me well. Inviting these people into "my business" over the years has saved me many heartaches, and kept me on the "paths of righteousness"---for His name's sake and MY name's sake as well! I am so appreciative of the books I have read, the tapes, cds, and podcasts I have heard--the seminars I have attended and the sermons I have heard. I am blessed because God has used those things to counsel me, shape me, prune me, develop me, stretch me--as I put into action the things I have been taught.

I could go on for a very long time, listing the things that bless me and make today such a happy day for me. But, I have to get back to the job I love (another great blessing!) and eventual birthday time with the family I love (another wonderful treasure!). As I do, this verse keeps a constant melody playing in my mind: "The blessing of the Lord makes one rich, and he adds no sorrow with it." Proverbs 10:22

1 comment:

Jacob Young said...

Here's another - Happy Birthday Mom!