Thursday, August 4, 2011

A Smokin' Hot Prayer

So, most of you have seen the video that went viral of the southern Baptist preacher “praying”, or something like that, at a Sunday afternoon NASCAR race a few weeks ago. (http://boingboing.net/2011/07/25/nascar-prayer-video.html) He was thanking God for high-powered fuel and a smokin’ hot wife, among other things. My husband Charlie has been asked to offer the prayer at the NFL Pro Football Hall of Fame Enshrinee’s Dinner this Friday night, so you can imagine he has gotten quite a few great suggestions and truly funny lines he could deliver for his own memorable moment. I’ve given some thought to what he should say, too. Just for the sheer sake of truth in advertising, I have advised him to not make any comments about his “smokin’ hot wife.”

While I thought the prayer from the deep south brother was amusing and it didn’t offend me, my suggestions are a little different. Call me a stick in the mud, but I can’t get past the fact that our prayers are for God’s ears primarily, not for entertainment for the crowds OR a preaching opportunity for the pray-er. Realizing that Charlie is not permitted to say anything “sectarian”, and having great faith in God’s ability to hear the heart intents of a sincere prayer, maybe a great prayer would:
• Thank God for physical health and skill that brings satisfaction to the athlete and enjoyment to the crowds;
• Thank God for the hours of enjoyment and conversation all the fans have shared through the careers of these men;
• Ask God to help every honoree and guest focus on the most significant legacy and reason for fame, a life of integrity and honor.

And I am pretty sure a really great prayer would be short, not long enough for minds to wander, short enough to shock everyone that a long-winded preacher didn’t grab the bully pulpit to push an agenda of some kind. Jesus’ powerful prayer in front of a crowd essentially said, “Father, I thank you that You hear me. Now bring glory to yourself through me.” If Charlie’s prayer lacks humor and tweetable quotes , but has that kind of simplicity, humility, and faith, I have a feeling His Father will hear and get glory for Himself.

Boogity Boogity Boogity. I’m done.

No comments: