Saturday, May 12, 2012

Mother's Day Gratitude

 A few days ago, a much younger woman looked at me and shook her head. "You have more energy and work harder and longer than most girls my age!" she said. I laughed, but inside I was glowing with satisfaction. I always said my mother could work circles around 2 women half her age, even when she passed 80. I so admired that about her, and to have that quality seen in me in some way was a gift.

A long-time friend reminded me of a letter he received from me some years ago when he was on a foolish path. "It really stung, " he said, "but I could feel your love and concern for me. I knew you were passionate about my life and future. I still have the letter--it's a motivator for me." That's my mother in me. All of us in the family have letters full of love, sometimes encouraging and sometimes rebuking--always calling us to be our best.

I walked through my house this morning, doing a "start-the-day tidy-up", and encouraged and strengthened myself as I read all the scriptures and inspiring words hanging on the walls. Mom again.
We grew up in a home where the walls spoke. "God, help me be the axle grease to make the wheels of our home run smoothly" was one Mother woodburned and hung over our dinner table. "Jesus first,
Others second, Yourself last--that's the way to spell joy" in Mom's handwriting still hangs on the bathroom mirror where Dad lives, the last home they shared together.

I could go on and on. The ways my mother affected and shaped me could fill the pages of a book.
Today I will visit her grave. I know she's not there; she's enjoying life in a way currently I can only imagine. The visit won't do a thing for her, but it will do a lot for me. On this Mother's Day weekend, it's one more chance to remind myself how God blessed me by making her my mother. I am putting a flag there that says "The Lord is My Strength and My Salvation"...one of Mom's favorite verses. Right beside it I am placing a memorial plaque that says, "Mother--Forever in Our Hearts".

Mom, you ARE forever in my heart. But more than that, you are forever in my character and lifestyle. Thank you. Much of the best of me is you. Isn't it wonderful that we will spend forever together with Jesus? I love you. Mom.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

J. & I just read your beauitiful tribute to Mom. It really touched our hearts. We too are very blessed! Thanks for writing what we all feel. Mom truly was a special mom! Happy Mother's day, Brenda! Love, J. & Cathy