Friday, July 11, 2014

Loving my hometown!

I guess you could say I am a well-traveled person. Amber waves of grain and purple mountain's majesty, from sea to shining sea, in this nation have made my heart beat fast. I have been privileged too visit many other countries, make fascinating discoveries and have memorable adventures. I was born in Lexington, Ky., spent toddler days in Wilmore, Ky. , was heartbroken when my father's calling took us away from Caldwell and Noble County, Ohio. The beautiful rural people and rolling hills combined for an amazing childhood. I soon learned to love Zanesville, Ohio, though. It was where I graduated from high school, grew in my faith with wonderful mentors, developed lifelong friendships, and even was married in the church where I was raised. I lived in Circleville, Ohio where I completed college, solidified God's call on my life. I met my incredible husband there, and share the most amazing memories, laugh-till-your-sides-hurt moments, remembering our crazy friends and even more ridiculous escapades in C-town. Our first years of marriage were beautiful in our little pink trailer as we attended seminary. We were gifted to pastor in Cincinnati in the hey-dey of  the Cincinnati Reds and got many autographs from the greats--Pete Rose, Joe Morgan, Johnny Bench, Sparky Anderson, George Foster. I felt  my tears would never stop when we were informed we had received a new pastoral  assignment, and would be leaving the century-plus parsonage and our little flock and the dynamic city for Akron, Ohio.

Akron, Ohio???? No. Not there. I left heel marks all the way up the state when we moved from the south to the northeast. Now we have been here  36 years. It has long ago become my home. I am grateful to have raised our children here and now see our grandchildren calling it home. The caring, giving people here have become our forever friends. My life purpose has found fulfillment here.  Akron has survived the fall of the economy and  the struggles of a changing city . It has been able to hang  on to and honor its history, and build a beautiful and promising today. The downtown  is more  beautiful every day.

I  love my hometown. Proud to be an Akronite, an Ak-rowdy, a Zip.... You name it.  I love this place.

No comments: