Friday, February 13, 2009

Now that's a Love Story!

Back in my college days, GONE WITH THE WIND was my absolute favorite love story. I wrote a sequel in my head long before Hollywood got to it. Tom and Jan Amblin were college students thene, too, at Ohio Christian Univeristy (good old CBC) when Charlie and I were there. Young marrieds, full of anticipation and joy in life as they prepared for a great life and ministry together. When Charlie and I went to dinner last Monday evening where we were retreat speakers, I never dreamed of seeing them at all, let alone peeking in on an incredible love story. Tom and Jan came into dinner that evening, looking spruced up and lovely, Tom strong and walking, pushing the wheelcahir where Jan reclined, small and fragile. I was so shocked I made no comment on her condition until much later. Every time we had an interchange with them, their deep love splashed on us. They spoke of their missionary service together, laughed about events in current life at the church where Tom is associate pastor. Sparkling, they told of their children and grandchildren, Tom with quick flowing words and Jan with slow sentences and great effort. At dinner, his meal cooled as he fed her. Liquid love flowed from one set of eyes to the other as he served her, she encouraged him.

I got the courage to finally ask, "Jan, how long have you been ill like this?" With a simple little smile she whispered, "Twenty-six years." TWENY-SIX YEARS????? Twenty-Six YEARS????
26 years??? Unbelievable. Can you imagine not only experiencing this yourself for 26 years, but making such a challenging relationship THRIVE for 26 years? Adding pastoral responsibilties on top of it, and even serving on a mission field? INCREDIBLE. Then Tom spoke, "Her spirit and intercession make her the most valuable partner I could have." There's a list of the greatest love story movies of all time http://movies.about.com/library/weekly/aaafitoplista.htm, and I can tell you--GONE WITH THE WIND, CASABLANCA, Dr. ZHIVAGO, PRETTY WOMAN--none of them can hold a candle to the real life gripping emotion and servant-hearted love of Tom and Jan.

In my counseling, I deal with people every day who decide that miniscule frustrations and difficulties in their relationship make it too difficult to pursue or cherish any more. How amazingly insightful that is. Diffiulties we face in keeping our covenant of love to our life partner generanally say more about us and the state of our own hearts than anything else.

Love is a moment by moment decision to value and pursue the well-being of another person above consideration of my own wants and needs. I saw it in Tom and Jan. Now that's a love story. Rhett and Scarlett, you are imposters in the love business. Move over for a couple of REAL lovers.

No comments: