Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Crocus People

I love crocuses. These beautiful, brave little guys are right outside my front door. Today's warm sunshine and soft breezes made them seem right at home in northeastern Ohio before spring has officially arrived. But earlier in March they seemed strangely out of place. Their little green stubborn stems were straining out of white drifts of snow, very much the underdog in the struggle between spring and winter. These bulbs have been here for years, and they never let me down. I know that before winter has finally given up and gone, well before anyone would have a right to expect spring flowers, these bold blooms will be the first to stick their necks out. Every single year they are the first to bring warmth and beauty back, and before long, other blooms join the bouquet in the flower garden.

I want to be a crocus person. No matter how hard and cold the surroundings are, I want to consistently be the first to stick my neck out and announce a new season of joy. It's a sure thing--when I do, others will be encouraged to bloom, too.

"Flowers appear on the earth; the season of singing has come, the cooing of doves is heard in our land." Song of Solomon 2:12

No comments: