Monday, July 18, 2011

It's Your Perspective

My daughter Rachel was due to have her first child, a little son named Maxwell William, yesterday. This morning Rachel owned that he must be more like her already than she realized, because he was running a tad late. Charlie and I have a long standing commitment in New York, leaving Sunday afternoon, and so we have all been pulling for the earliest possible arrival. It's not just his arrival that's important, but the opportunity to help Rachel and Aron in the first days of adjustment to their new little Energy Drainer.

I drove her to her appointment today, one she had really hoped would be unnecessary. She was a bit bleak when she got in the car. I said, "What if the examination prompts Max to hurry on out?" She assured me she was feeling nothing, and that was a very slim possibility. I started sorting through my mental files, looking for every encouraging easy/early delivery story and possibility I could find.

After she endured my optimism for most of the ride, she said, "You know, Mom, we are different when it comes to stuff like this. You always think of the great possible outcome. I don't. I think of a less desirable outcome. That way I am prepared for disappointment, and if it DOES happen the way I want, I am really happy and excited."

She's right. I am ridiculously optimistic most of the time. I generally expect something pretty good to happen. When I do receive a major hurt, a deep disappointment, or get blindsided by an unexpected setback,I'm weirdly like a cork. I end up on top again fairly quickly. Just can't seem to help it. Yep--that perspective does get me flattened sometimes, but most of the time there's enough good in however things come down that I don't feel let down. I guess there's something to be said for both outlooks, mine and Rachel's.

BUT--I'm stickin' with mine. Rachel was at the hospital being prepped for delivery within 3 hours of the conversation about our perspectives. I wouldn't think of saying "I told you so". LOL However, I do feel emboldened to share one more optimistic thought. My grandson will be adorable, and I'll be holding him within 24 hours.

2 comments:

Chris Hill said...

Congratulations grandma. I have always liked your optimism.

Robin said...

Just another reason that you're my hero! Many, many blessings! How I love being a grandma!