Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The Weight of a World



Heading back to the hospital to see Max, I shared an elevator wait with a man about my age (yes, very young. :-) We chatted for a few minutes, and he asked me where I was going. I said I was headed to see my brand-new grandson. Instead of the congratulations I expected, he was immediately troubled. Appearing to carry the weight of the world on his shoulders, he shook his head and said, "Well, you know it's a terrible world to bring a child into. I surely would never want to do it. Lots and lots of evil here." Wonk, Wah. Debbie Downer in my own elevator, raining on my celebration.

He said that just as the door opened with a nurse already riding. I said to my new troubled friend, "Yes, the world is a tough place with incredible evil in it. That means God needs an army of mighty men--my grandson is going to be one of them!" He looked a little taken aback, but the nurse threw her arms in the air and enthusiastically declared, "Woohoo!!! That is right--and I am in His army, too." We had a mini-revival until the doors opened again.

Later, God spoke to me in the quietness of my car--just He and I riding together. "You know, he's right", the Father said. "Lots and lots of evil out there. I have a fantastic plan for Max, but mine is not the only agenda out there. The great life you desire for him is not a slam dunk."

Quietness as that sinks in for a moment. Then, "You know," he continued, "to a great extent, the weight of his little world IS on your shoulders. He desperately needs you to be an unselfish example, making all your decisions ones that will always bring him pride and dignity. He needs you to live like Jesus, to be a first line of defense against the onslaught of temptations through your unceasing prayer and spiritual energy. Max doesn't know it yet, but he is relying on you to write your life story so big and obedient that the sheer adventure of it will make him want to follow Jesus as he pens his own epic life."

Max, I will do it. You can count on me. Over your crib, your Mommy and Daddy painted in huge letters:
MAXWELL
Dream big,
for when you wake, you will move mountains.

I believe you will. I will carry all the weight I can for you while you sleep and grow strong and dream. I believe in you. And I believe in the Mighty God who dreamed YOU into existence. Team Max is going to move mountains in the world in the Awesome Name of that Mighty God. Mamaw is a proud and grateful member of your team.

4 comments:

Emily said...

Little Maxwell, you can be anything you dream of becoming. So dream BIG!

Jessica Young said...

Made me cry... Thanks for being an example for all of us mom. I love you.

Robin said...

Brenda,

Thank you for how clearly you articulate your thoughts; your description of your encounter went straight to my heart.

When I retired several years ago from my stressful, yet productive, satisfying (and ego-boosting) secular career, I began to babysit for my three youngest grandchildren (Mike and I have seven).

At first I thought, "This can't be it; God must have something bigger, grander for me to do for Him." Then He led me to Isaiah 58 (especially verse 7). He looks at the days spent with these precious little ones as fasting. What a privilege! This fall, the situation begins to change as one goes off to all-day kindergarten and one to pre-school two mornings per week. The time is short; the task is huge. Who better than grandma to show them to love of Jesus?

I am blessed. Your grandchildren are blessed to have you for their grandma. I love you, my friend!

Larissa said...

Brenda, thanks for the reminder that we all have a responsibility to our young ones. Without God using us to teach, guide and lead them His army is surly lacking.

Picking up my game so that Max will have other's that are "On the march"