Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Dad's coming!


My dad is coming to our house to stay till Friday. I kinda feel like I hit the lottery. :-) Dad is 90 years old, a widower living in the home he and my mother shared in a little retirement place in Sugarcreek. So obviously, it's not that it's a long trip--it's just that my dad really loves his life. He runs around to the neighbors' homes, trying to make sure none of "old folks" (most younger than him) are in need. He is part of a small group that thrives on their weekly fellowship and Bible Study. He grades papers for prisoners, serves as an honorary grandfather to rock babies and play with toddlers in the nursery at his church each week, and is an "amen'er" for the pastor in the weekly worship services. He disciples a young man who is a new believer. Dad also goes to every ball game for my niece and nephews who live near him that he can. When he gets an opportunity to visit a restaurant or store in the area, he automatically becomes the "host" there, making sure everyone feels at home, is appreciated and loved.

Obviously, that information leads to two conclusions: First, even though he lives alone, he is a huge contributer to life in his community, and he feels a responsibility. When he is gone, he is missed. And second, when Dad arrives at my house, the atmosphere is charged with his character. He loves to laugh and tell stories. Even ones we have heard 100 times are fun to hear again. He is an encourager. In the next three days, I will hear multiple times what a great woman I am, how beautiful my family is, what a great job we are all doing with our children and the grandkids. Dad will tell me what a great husband I have. He will tell me how much he still loves my mother, and how great it will be when we are all together again. He will ask me about my work, he will watch ballgames with Charlie and intersperse them with questions about Charlie's church and concerns. Though he has aches and pains and days of missing Mom terribly, he won't spend a second dumping those burdens out. Unless we ask, he won't spend much time talking about HIS life--mostly investing in ours. When we ask about what's going on for him, it will be mostly gratitude. Any simple meal I fix will be delicious. Oh, yes--we will pray together at least a dozen times, often spontaneously as some need or blessing comes to mind.

Can't wait till he gets here. So many people tell me I look like my Dad. I want to BE like my Dad. That's my goal.

You want him to come to your house? The line forms to the right--and it is
really long. :-) Thanks, Dad.

1 comment:

Kelly Wolfe said...

sounds like it's going to be a wonderful visit