Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Christmas Problems

"I am SO tired...and I still have 2 more rooms to clean before company comes!"

"I don't know what to buy my parents for Christmas."

"Daggone it! I lost my cell phone."

"What a time to have my muffler fall off! This is the busiest time of year and I have to do without my car all afternoon!"

"Ugh. The thing I hate most about Christmas is taking down the decorations afterwards."

"This cough. If it doesn't go away, I'm going to have to go to the doctor and get another prescription."

Problems. Do you know what kind of problems they are?

Rich people problems.

Say what????

Yep. Everyone of those statements could only be made by one of us rich people. Yeah, I hear you. You say you aren't rich, and it's getting worse with everything the government is doing with medical care and taxes. I totally get it. My husband and I are in the age bracket that's getting hit incredibly hard. With extra taxes and less medical care, our income is dropping by thousands in 2014.

But, still--you are reading a blog written by one of the richest people in the world, and you, my dear reader, are most likely one of the richest as well. If you have an annual income of $25,000, you are in the top 10% of the entire world. If you earn $47,500, you are in the top 1%. Amazing.

I should mention, even though I am so rich, I drive a 1999 used Buick, my husband drives a van with 246,000+ miles on it. But we drive. We have cars. Only rich people do. And I forgot to mention, we have a garage they both fit into so we don't have to scrape windows in the frigid mornings. We're so crazy rich we not only have a house WE live in and decorate for the holidays, we have a special place for the CARS to live in. Is that nuts or what??

I lose my cell phone on a daily basis. But Charlie and I both have cellphones. I can be in constant contact with my other rich friends and family members because they all have phones.

Most medicine I need is right in my medicine cabinet. Did you hear that? I am so rich, I can afford to keep enough medicine on hand that I designate a cabinet to keep it in. Mind blowing.

I have enough clothes that I have to make a place in my bedroom to hang them all, and the floor of the closet is covered with pairs of shoes, when I only have 2 feet. I have some articles in my closet I haven't worn in months. Crazy to be this well off.

We have a refrigerator in our house stuffed with food and drinks that need to be kept cold, and shelves for other food. But just yesterday I came in from work and asked my husband, "Is there anything to eat?" I am so rich, I can afford to be picky.

I have friends who have enough money to disagree how they spend it, and they end their marriages over it. That's too rich. Way too rich.

So many of the people I have met in this world are not rich like me. They don't have rich people problems. Their issues sound like this:

"There isn't enough water to wash the clothes. We could only carry enough to drink." And the water is brown.

"Are there any shoes in that bag that could fit Simo? He hasn't had any this year."

"Oh, Jesus! Please make my baby well! Everyone is dying! Please, not my baby!"

"Just beans or rice today. It's almost all gone."

Yet they sing "Joy to the World, the Lord is come!" with gusto.

Me and my rich friends--well, we sure are happy that Jesus came. But we need Santa to come, too. You understand that, don't you? And, for real--Santa needs to put some thought into it. The right gift shows you care. Lots of relational problems develop over a disappointing Christmas.

Yep. Me and my rich friends. We sure have problems.

Pray for us, won't you?


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Brenda, I love your post! My hubby and I were once millionaires; now we live on social security and are raising our granddaughter. I testified this morning regarding how blessed we are. Jesus never fails. Santa will disappoint, but Jesus never does! Audrey Bird