Thursday, January 2, 2014

Bleary-eyed Bliss...and Exhaustion

My phone ring sound is the "Hallelujah Chorus".  December 1, early Sunday morning, the phone rang. It was our last born son Jacob announcing, "Jessie's in labor, Mom!" I got dressed as quickly as I could, and sure enough, when I walked onto the platform for our first worship service of the morning, I had a picture of our beautiful grand-daughter, Eden Grace, to share with an enthusiastic church family. Hallelujah, indeed.

December 29, early Sunday morning, once more my phone rang out "Hallelujah!" Our first born Rachel breathlessly announced, "My water broke, Mom!" I threw on my clothes, and one more time, when I walked in 15 minutes late for the start of the first service, I was a very excited Pastor-Mamaw, announcing the entrance of Riley James. Hallelujah again!

Both of those days were sheer bliss and exuberance. There's nothing like new life to dump bushels of joy into our lives. Both Daddies and Mommies were ear to ear smiles and their laughter with friends filled the hospital halls. Both babies are healthy and precious, and it seems there's no boundaries on the joy everyone knows.

Yesterday was January 1. Aron brought Rachel and Riley home from the hospital late afternoon while Poppy and I helped Maxwell, his 2 1/2 year old big brother, prepare a suitable welcome. We brought a pork and sauerkraut/mashed potato dinner, and after dinner, Jacob and Jessie and Eden Grace stopped by for a short visit. Mommas and Daddies traded babies for a few minutes, and ooo'ed and aah'ed over the precious little ones. Lots more joy.

Did I mention that both Momma's had c-sections? Or that Eden has colic and hasn't been able to sleep more than a few hours at a time? Or that Riley came three weeks early, and seems to need cocooning and held most of the time to stay asleep? Or that Maxwell is energetic and enterprising 24/7, and that while we visited, he generously shared his Aunt Jessie's Starbucks coffee with Fishy, the beta fish in the aquarium he had just gotten for Christmas? Dad made a quick exit to rescue Fishy, emptying and cleaning his entire world. Did I mention that 2 1/2 year old boys are fun factories...and manufacture other stuff, too? Did I mention that everyone in the room was yawning, or that the conversation slowly drifted to how exhausted everyone was? Charlie and I were the senior adults in the room, but we were well holding our own. The four parents still had their joy. But they were bleary-eyed. Did I mention that new life not only brings a lot of adventure and joy, but that to be long term rewarding, it involves long nights, hardworking days, lack of sleep, and untold sacrifices, large and small? If a new baby is going to have a chance of living up to the expectations placed on him or her, he/she needs a parent (hopefully two) who will step up and be a hero.

It's no coincidence that the New Year is always pictured as a baby, and comes in with such delirious partying and hilarity. Like a baby, we picture this fresh new year as a clean slate, a fresh sheet, and a new opportunity for new success and great joy, and declare one hundred times over, "Happy New Year!" to friends and family. But "wishin' don't make it so." For a year to bring continued joy and great reward, the owner of that year needs to make heroic choices. You need to be the hero of your new year. But perhaps you say, "Doesn't God need to be the hero of my new year?" Simply semantics, my friend. Of course, God is sovereign. But He does nothing without my cooperation. Because He is the best parent imaginable, He will not do for me what I can do for myself. If I insist on making choices that debilitate me, He will let me. But if I choose to put in the hard work and sacrifices to make this year outstanding, He will multiply my efforts.

So that's where I am headed. I brought in the new year with much joy. And I am intent that this gift of the Baby New Year will continue to bring me joy and satisfaction right through the last moments of December 31, 2015. I am committed to days of hard work, pushing through the exhaustion and frustration when things are harder than expected, lost sleep, and the strange condition that accompanies rewarding hard work--bleary-eyed bliss. 

I love you, Baby 2014. I'm going to do my best by you. I will be our hero. I know the reward will be great.

No comments: