Friday, January 10, 2014

That Smile...

I remember when I met him. We were just starting out at Circleville Bible College (now known as Ohio Christian University). He was much taller than I, his hair was glossy and black, his eyes were dark and clear, his voice was booming--but it was his smile that set him apart. It wasn't a slow smile. It was immediate, splitting his face and ending in dimples. It was irresistible. When Phil Batten smiled, everyone smiled.

We became fast friends in college. A whole group of us were so close. We shared so much fun and life and ministry together. We were on the road, singing and preaching; at school, studying and learning; on down time, being crazy and sharing our aspirations. In the middle of all of it was Phil with that big smile. Even when he was hurting, his smile always surfaced. He sang when Charlie and I were married--guests commented on his voice and smile.

After graduation, we all headed into ministry. Phil pastored a variety of churches, and also founded HeavenTrain, a unique bus ministry that, when I was familiar with it, went into 18 different needy points in the suffering inner city of Cleveland with the word of God and food. The ministry spread to other cities. They interrupted the activities of drug dealers and gangs, and his life was threatened. Phil preached so much, he lost his singing voice. But he was still smiling. Circumstances never determined his disposition. Phil's smile originated in two sources: a deep, abiding joy that was not altered by life, and a decision to encourage others no matter what he was personally experiencing. And Phil's life was not composed of perfect circumstances. For starters, his father died when he was young. 

Phil joyfully smiled his way into heaven this week. Nearly every comment about him from every phase of his life, from people he met who were as low as they could get,to colleagues, to people who ministered to him in his last days, includes a reference to his smile. What a legacy.

Made me think. Our faces always show on the outside what is reality on the inside. Proverbs 15:13 says that a happy heart makes the face attractive. Jesus wants all of us to be attractive magnets, drawing others to him to experience the same joy we have found. He says he came to give us overflowing life, joy to the full. Truth is, far too many of us show little to no joy. We would never be defined by a continual smile. In fact, people may describe us with, "She's always in a mood. He always seems disengaged", or similar less than complimentary phrases.

One might say, "Well, I AM discouraged. I AM sad. What do you expect me to do about it?" Life can take everything away from us except our power to choose our perspective and response. David found himself in tough circumstances, and he instructed himself to change. Read it in Psalm 42 and 43. He said,
"Why am I discouraged? Why is my heart so sad? I will put my hope in God! I will praise him again--my Savior and my God!" (43:15)

Phil, thanks for living your life that way. Your joy and attitude was infectious, and you encouraged me every time I saw you or remembered you. Now your joy is complete. Well done, my friend. Well done.


1 comment:

Judi Yee said...

Enjoying all of the blogs! We need podcasts! Putting in another request....I know they are working on it :). Love