Friday, July 25, 2014

Gratitude in All Things

As I look at the date of my last blog post and realize it has only been just over a week since Dad's sudden decline, I shake my head. He had been so remarkable--his statements, prayers, and attitudes expressed could fill a book. In fact, my brother's book is called ONLY GOD. Some of his staff members who have been hearing about Dad's journey have laughingly told Dwight his next book should be titled ONLY JIM. :-)

There's a reason Dad is like this, facing the hardest days in his journey. He takes the words of Paul very seriously that followers of Jesus Christ should cultivate a spirit of gratitude in all things. When Dad was in deep days of grief after my mother, his wife of more than 50 years, had left him for heaven, he didn't like the grip that sadness had on him. So he made himself a "gratitude list" that he has read every single morning before he even prays, just to get his head focused in the right direction, Here it is:



THINGS I PRAISE GOD FOR: HIS MERCY TO ME

1) I praise God for His mercy in forgiving me of my sins.
2) I praise God for making me a new creation; all things have become new.
3) I praise God for the home in which I was raised--parents who loved God, a Christian home.
4) I praise God for being raised in a Christian church.
5) I praise God for being born an American.
6) I praise God for Christian friends who prayed for me.
7) I praise God for the wife he gave me to raise our children.
8) I praise God that Marie died a faithful Christian.
9) I praise God for the assurance that she is with Jesus.
10) I praise God for my brothers and sisters, who serve God.
11) I praise God for the good health he has given me over 93 years.
12) I praise  God for my family--all Christian.
13) I praise God for his continued presence all day.
14) I praise God for the ability to stay for so long alone in my own home--what a blessing!
15) I praise God for his faithful guidance.

James L. Mason

I don't know what your situation is, but maybe you need to try Dad's method for lifting your heart. Get started. "I praise God that..." Praise unlocks the prison cell of your soul.


No comments: