Thursday, July 17, 2014

My Wine Has Run Out...

Dad called me this morning, his voice telling me something had happened before his words got it all together. I asked what was wrong, and he answered, "My wine has run out. My cup is empty." Then he told me that he was being taken to the hospital from the nursing home where he is a resident. I prayed with him and told him I would meet him there.

I had a full day going, and needed to manage few things  before I left, so the ambulance beat me there. He was already wired up to the monitors in the emergency room when I arrived, chatting with the nurse while she made notes. She had evidently been there for a little while, because he had already found out they shared faith in Christ. He was rejoicing at what a great life she had ahead of her. When she was finished and she left with smiles and mutual "God bless you's" exchanged, I sat by the bed and enfolded Dad's hand in mine.

"Daddy, tell me about your wine being gone, your cup being empty." I am sure my tone conveyed my concern, and he immediately filled me in.

"Oh, it's true, honey. My wine has run out. My cup is empty. I am old and weak, I have no resources, no idea of how to help myself, and no ability to do anything even if I knew something to do. If I'm going to have any wine again, Jesus will have to do it."

If you aren't familiar with the life and ministry of Jesus, you may not know that he was referring to the wedding Jesus attended (recorded in John 2) where the host ran out of wine in the middle of the reception, a humiliation in those days. He and his wife were helpless to remedy the situation until Jesus stepped in. He took mere water--clear, ordinary water--and turned it into the finest wine. It was the first miracle Jesus did in his life on earth.

My heart was aching, because I knew what Dad said was true. And, frankly, I don't know if Jesus is going to do a miracle here. Dad is 93, and has had a very full life. But Dad took me to school. He spoke again, almost thinking aloud. "But having my wine run out is not a bad thing, honey. It's actually a great opportunity to truly trust Jesus. You see, as long as I have the ability to do something for myself, to rescue myself, or meet my own needs, it is hard for me to know if I really trust Jesus or not. When I am completely helpless, I find out how much I will trust him to do what he knows is best. I said to Jesus today, 'Jesus, I am empty. I have nothing left. My wine is all gone. I know you can do a miracle and give me more, but you don't have to. I would like to live a little longer, because I have things I would like to do yet. But you know more and better than me. So I will trust you and accept with thanksgiving whatever you do.' I trust him, Brenda. I really do."

His room was full of peace and joy and the Holy Spirit. My sister-in-law Cathy stayed with him after I had to return to work for an appointment. She reported that he told the "water to wine" story to his doctor, as the doctor listened intently.

Witnessing his intimacy with Jesus is...well, my cup runneth over.


7 comments:

Nelson & Camille Blount said...

I will simply say... We love your family! We are praying for Dad Mason and all of you.

Deb Fitzwater said...

You witnessed a beautiful thing, Brenda ... what a blessing your dad has been to so many! What a blessed conversation to have with him. Such a satisfied and content soul!

Brenda said...

Thanks so much! And we love you !

Unknown said...

What a beautiful moment. And thought provoking. Thank you for sharing. Hugs and prayers to you all.

Faye Ellen said...

Precious is the life of Pastor Jim and all the wisdom and love he has shared. Thank you Brenda for sharing

Brenda said...

Thank you, Jean and Faye Ellen. Appreciate your love and support much.

lazam said...

I was just thinking yesterday how much we can all learn from him with his passion for sharing Jesus...and he does it so naturally. I hope Jesus refills his cup for a while longer so that Jim can continue to show us how to share Jesus so sweetly.